Family & Consumer Sciences Education (FCSE)
Family and Consumer Science Education graduates teach in junior and senior high schools, community colleges, community agencies, and the Extension Service, as well as promote and manage businesses.
This major prepares you for a New Mexico teaching license. Teaching positions are available across the nation, as there is a severe shortage of FCS teachers. Teachers in this area have the opportunity to teach courses that focus on critical life skill components:
- Child Development
- Personal Development
- Career Pathways
- Food Science
- Fashion Merchandising
- Culinary Arts
- Health and Wellness
- Independent Living
- Housing and Interiors
- Teaching Junior or Senior High School Family and Consumer Sciences
- Teaching in Community Agencies
- Teaching in Community College
- County Agent with Extension Service
- Promoting/Managing Businesses
Why Choose a Major in Family and Consumer Sciences Education?
This major will allow you to touch the lives of children, youth, adults, and Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) members. Students with an FCSE major are in demand to work in community agencies focused on adults and youth:
- Extension Service
- Junior/Community Colleges
- School to Work Initiatives
- Teen Parent Programs
What Will I Learn In Family and Consumer Sciences Education?
A major in Family and Consumer Sciences Education provides you with broad knowledge of family and consumer sciences.
- Skills in planning and communicating this knowledge to others.
- Planning, implementing and evaluating programs for a variety of students.
Courses are taken in the following areas:
- Clothing, Textiles and Fashion Merchandising
- Human Nutrition and Dietetic Sciences
- Family Resource Management
- Food Science and Technology
- Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Management
- Family and Consumer Sciences Education including Teaching Methods and Curriculum Development
FCSE Program of StudyClick on this link and view the FCSE Program of Study.
You can learn by following these links to the web sites of our professional organizations.
Dr. Sharon J. Bartley
Department of Family and Consumer Sciences
Box 30003, MSC 3470
Las Cruces, NM 88003-8003