Family and Consumer Sciences Graduate Programs
The Master of Science degree in Family and Consumer Sciences (FCSC) can be obtained with an emphasis in one of the following areas:
- Clothing, Textiles and Fashion Merchandising
- Family and Child Science
- Marriage and Family Therapy
- Teaching, Research and Administration
- Family and Consumer Sciences Education
- Human Nutrition and Dietetic Sciences
- Human Nutrition
- Dietetic Internship - (Director, Gaby Phillips, MS, RD, LD)
- Food Science and Technology
- General Family and Consumer Sciences
- Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Management
Kourtney Vaillancourt, PhD, LMFT, CFLE
Combined Masters Degree and Dietetic InternshipOur program combines the dietetic internship with a graduate program leading to a Master of Science in Family and Consumer Sciences. Upon successful completion of the Combined Master's Degree + Dietetic Internship, the student qualifies to take the registration examination to become a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist (RD/RDN).
FCSC Degree Requirements
Thesis Plan Requires:
- Minimum of 30 credits (including 4-6 credits of thesis).
- One-half of the credits must be from the 500 level.
- One-half of credits taken must be from the Department of Family and Consumer Sciences.
- Oral exam on completion of the above requirements.
Non Thesis Plan Requires:
- Minimum of 32 credits of course work.
- One-half of the credits must be from above the 500 level.
- One-half of the credits must come from the Department of Family and Consumer Sciences.
- Oral AND written examination upon completion of the above requirements.
A minor may be taken in a variety of supporting fields that fit the particular interests of the candidate.
The admissions criteria for the Department of Family and Consumer Sciences (FCSC) Graduate Program include:
- Graduate school application (http://prospective.nmsu.edu/graduate/apply/) - Forwarded to Department from Graduate School
- Official transcripts - Forwarded to Department from Graduate School
- Letter of application
- Three letters of reference
- Psychometric test results (e.g., GRE (only one accepted for Marriage and Family Therapy program; Dietetic Internship and Family and Consumer Sciences Education); Miller's Analogy; ADA Exam)
- Summer Session I, II, and Fall -- March 1
Marriage & Family Therapy (MFT) Program -- February 1st
Dietetic Internship -- February 15
- Summer Session II and Fall -- June 1
- Spring -- November 1
Gerald Thomas Hall