Jennifer A. Hernandez Gifford
Title: Associate Professor
Major Field of Interest: Reproductive Physiology
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office phone: 575-646-5090
Washington State University Ph.D. 2004 Animal Science
New Mexico State University M.S. 2001 Animal Science
New Mexico State University B.S. 1999 Animal Science
Animal Sciences 370 Anatomy and Physiology of Farm Animals
Animal Sciences 509 Endocrinology of Domestic Animals
Changes in the capacity of follicles to mature properly and/or respond to appropriate preovulatory events could be involved with altered follicular development, failure of the follicle(s) to ovulate at the appropriate time, and abnormal embryonic development. The long-term goal of the research proposed in our lab is to provide fundamental knowledge about the physiological role and mechanism of action of ovarian signaling molecules involved in follicular development in the adult ovary and steroid production.
Selected Refereed Journal Papers:
- Gomez, B. I., C. A. Gifford, D. M. Hallford, and J. A. Hernandez Gifford. 2015. Protein kinase B is required for follicle-stimulating hormone mediated beta-catenin accumulation and estradiol production in granulosa cells of cattle. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 163:97-104.
- Hernandez Gifford, J.A. 2015. INVITED REVIEW: The role of WNT signaling in adult ovarian folliculogenesis. Reproduction 150:R137-R148.
- Matera, J., B.K. Wilson, J.A. Hernandez Gifford, D.L. Step, C.R. Krehbiel, and C.A. Gifford. 2014. Cattle with increased severity of Bovine Respiratory Disease Complex exhibit decreased capacity to protect against histone cytotoxicity. J. Anim. Sci. 93:1841-1849.
- Gifford, C.A., K.A. Branham, J.O. Ellison, B.I. Gomez, C.O. Lemley, C.G. Hart, C.R. Krehbiel, B.C. Bernhard, C.L. Maxwell, C.L. Goad, D.M. Hallford, and J.A. Hernandez Gifford. 2015. Effect of anabolic implants on adrenal cortisol production in feedlot cattle implanted early or late in the finishing phase. Physiol. & Behav. 138:118-123.
- Stapp, A.D., B.I. Gomez, C.A. Gifford, D.M. Hallford and J.A. Hernandez Gifford. 2014. Canonical WNT Signaling Inhibits Follicle Stimulating Hormone Mediated Steroidogenesis in Primary Cultures of Rat Granulosa Cells. PLoS ONE. 9(1): e86432.
- Stapp, A.D., C.A. Gifford, D.M. Hallford, and J.A. Hernandez Gifford. 2014. Evaluation of steroidogenic capacity after follicle stimulating hormone stimulation in bovine granulosa cells of Revalor 200® implanted heifers. J. Anim. Sci. Biotechnol. 5:280-285.
- Hernandez Gifford, J.A., and C.A. Gifford. 2013. Role of reproductive biotechnologies in enhancing food security and sustainability. Animal Frontiers 3(3):14-19.
- Castañon, B.I., A.D. Stapp, C.A. Gifford, L.J. Spicer, D.M. Hallford, and J.A. Hernandez Gifford. 2012. Follicle-stimulating hormone regulation of estradiol production: possible involvement of WNT2 and β-catenin in bovine granulosa cells. J. Anim. Sci. 90:3789-3797.
- Hernandez Gifford, J.A., M.E. Hunzicker-Dunn, and J.H. Nilson. 2009. Conditional Deletion of Beta-catenin mediated by Amhr2cre in Mice Causes Female Infertility. Biol. Reprod. 80(6):1282-92.
- Parakh, T.N., J.A. Hernandez, J.C. Grammer, J. Weck, M.E. Hunzicker-Dunn, A.J. Zeleznik, J.H. Nilson. 2006. FSH/cAMP induction of Aromatase gene expression requires β-catenin. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 103(33):12435-40.