Wiebke J. Boeing
Title: Associate Professor
Research area: Aquatic Ecology
Office location: Knox 112
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 575-646-1707
Office Fax: 575-646-1281
- Ph.D., Dissertation Title: Costs and Benefits of Daphnia Antipredator Behavior and Consequences on Community Stability, Louisiana State University, 2002.
- M.S., Master's Thesis Title: Response of Phytoplankton on Grazing Pressure by Daphnia spp. in Dependence of Phosphorus Concentration in the Hypertrophic Bautzen Reservoir and in Enclosure Experiments, Technishe Universitat, Dresden, Germany, 1996.
- B.S., Biology, Universitat Potsdam, Germany, 1993.
- 2010-Present: Associate Professor, Department of Fish, Wildlife and Conservation Ecology, New Mexico State University-Las Cruces.
- 2004-2010: Assistant Professor, Department of Fishery and Wildlife Sciences, New Mexico State University-Las Cruces.
- 2002-2004: Post-doctoral Research Associate, Joint Institute for the Study of Atmosphere and Ocean (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and University of Washington).
- 1997-2002: Teaching Assistant, Louisiana State University.
My research interests lie in the effects of climate change and anthropogenic activities on the aquatic community and on predator-prey interactions. Furthermore, I study how various environmental parameters influence aquatic biodiversity and individual species. I am also involved in a collaborative effort to produce biodiesel from marine microalgae. I have experience in both freshwater and marine systems, and have worked on every trophic level of the aquatic food web.
Xu, Y. and W.J. Boeing. 2014. Modeling maximum lipid productivity of microalgae: Review and next step. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 32:29-39.
Bartley, M.L., W.J. Boeing, F.O. Holguin and T. Schaub. 2014. Effect of pH on growth and lipid accumulation of the biofuel microalgae Nannochloropsis salina and invading organisms. Journal of Applied Physiology 26:1431-1437.
Harings, N.M. and W.J. Boeing. 2014. Desert anuran occurrence and detection in artificial breeding habitats. Herpetologica 70:123-134.
Campos, H., W.J. Boeing, B.N. Dungan and T. Schaub. 2014. Cultivating the marine microalga Nannochloropsis salina under various nitrogen sources: Effect on biomass yields, lipid content and composition, and invasive organisms. Biomass & Bioenergy 66:301-307.
Boeing, W.J., K.L. Griffis-Kyle and J.M. Jungels. 2014. Anuran landscape level habitat associations in the northern Chihuahuan Desert. Journal of Herpetology 48:103-110.
- Macanowicz, N. W.J. Boeing and W.R. Gould. 2013. Evaluation of methods to assess benthic biodiversity in desert sinkholes. Freshwater Science 32:1101-1110.
- Xu, Y.Y. and W.J. Boeing. 2013. Mapping Biofuel Fields: A bibliometric evaluation of research output. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 28:82-91.
- Boeing, W.J. 2013. Aquaculture: an Ecologist's Perspective. Journal of Fisheries & Livestock Production 1:e105.
- Bartley, M.I., W.J. Boeing, A.A. Corcoran, F.O. Holguin and T. Schaub. 2013. Effects of salinity on growth and lipid accumulation of biofuel microalgae (Nannochloropsis salina) and invading organisms. Biomass & Bioenergy 54:83-88.
- Corcoran, A.A. and W.J. Boeing. 2012. Biodiversity increases the productivity and stability of phytoplankton communities. PLoS ONE:e49397.
- Boeing, W.J. 2010. Antipredator Defenses: Defensive Avoidance, In: Breed, M.D. and J. Moore (eds). Encyclopedia of Animal Behavior, 476-480 Oxford: Academic Press.
- Boeing, W.J. 2010. Sample portfolios across disciplines: Fish, Wildlife and Conservation Ecology - Wiebke J. Boeing. In: Seldin, P., J.E. Miller and C.A. Seldin. The teaching portfolio: a practical guide to improved performance and promotion/tenure decisions. 4th edition. Josey-Bass, A Wiley Imprint.
- Boeing, W.J. and C.W. Ramcharan. 2010. Inducible defenses are a stabilizing factor for predator and prey populations: a field experiment. Freshwater Biology 55:2332-2338.
- Boeing, W.J., B. Wissel and C.W. Ramcharan. 2010. Can costs and benefits of Daphnia defense against fish be measured in a field experiment? Fundamental and Applied Limnology 176:1-10.
- Jungels, J.M., K.L. Griffis-Kyle and W.J. Boeing. 2010. Low genetic differentiation among populations of the Great Plains Toad (Bufo cognatus) in Southern New Mexico. Copeia 2010:388-396.
- Hylander, S., W.J. Boeing, W. Graneli, J. Karlsson, J. von Einem, K. Gutseit and L.-A. Hansson. 2009. Complementary UV protective compounds in zooplankton. Limnolgy and Oceanography 54: 1883-1893.
- Leech, D.M., W.J. Boeing, S. Cooke, C.E. Williamson and L. Torres. 2009. UV-enhanced fish predation and the differential migration of zooplankton to UV radiation and fish. Limnology and Oceanography 54: 1152-1161.
- Cooke, S., C.E. Williamson, D.M. Leech, W.J. Boeing and L. Torres. 2008. Effects of temperature and ultraviolet radiation on diel vertical migration of freshwater zooplankton. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 65: 1144-1152.
- Boeing, W.J. and J.T. Duffy-Anderson. 2008. Ichthyoplankton dynamics and biodiversity in the Gulf of Alaska: responses to environmental change. Ecological Indicators 8: 292-302.
- Caceres, C.E., A. Christoff and W.J. Boeing. 2007. Variation in ephippial buoyancy in Daphnia pulicaria. Freshwater Biology 52: 313-318.
- Boeing, W.J., M.H. Martin and J.T. Duffy-Anderson. 2006. Groundfish. In: Spies, R.B. and A. Springer (eds). Long-term ecological change in the northern Gulf of Alaska. Pp. 294-305.
- Boeing, W.J., C.W. Ramcharan and H.P. Riessen. 2006. Clonal variation in depth distribution of Daphnia pulex in response to predator kairomones. Archiv fur Hydrobiologie 166:241-260.
- Boeing, W.J., C.W. Ramcharan and H.P. Riessen. 2006. Multiple predator defense strategies in Daphnia pulex and their relation to native habitat. Journal of Plankton Research 28:571-584.
- Boeing, W.J., B. Wissel and C.W. Ramcharan. 2005. Costs and benefits of Daphnia defense against Chaoborus in nature. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:1286-1294.
- Boeing, W.J., D.M. Leech, C.E. Williamson, S. Cooke and L. Torres. 2004. Damaging UV radiation and invertebrate predation: Conflicting selective pressures for zooplankton vertical distribution in the water column of low DOC lakes. Oecologia 138:603-612.
- Wissel, B., W.J. Boeing and C.W. Ramcharan. 2003. Effects of water color on predation regimes and zooplankton assemblages in freshwater lakes. Limnology and Oceanography 48:1965-1976.
- Benndorf J., W. Boeing, J. Koop and I. Neubauer. 2002. Top-down control of phytoplankton: the role of time scale, lake depth, and trophic state. Freshwater Biology 47:2282-2295.
- Benndorf, J., B. Wissel, A.F. Sell, U. Hornig, P. Ritter and W. Boeing. 2000. Food web manipulation by extreme enhancement of piscivory: an invertebrate predator compensates for the effects of planktivorous fish on a plankton community. Limnologica 30:235-245.
- Boeing, W.J., A. Wagner, H. Voigt, T. Deppe and J. Benndorf. 1998. Phytoplankton responses to grazing by Daphnia galeata in the biomanipulated Bautzen reservoir. Hydrobiologia 389:101-114.
- Kamjunke, N., W. Boeing and H. Voigt. 1997. Bacterial and primary production under hypertrophic conditions. Aquatic Microbial Ecology 13:29-35.