Wiebke J. Boeing
Title: Associate Professor
Research area: Aquatic Ecology
Office location: Knox 112
Email Address: email@example.com
Office Phone: 575-646-1707
Office Fax: 575-646-1281
- Ph.D., Dissertation Title: Costs and Benefits of Daphnia Antipredator Behavior and Consequences on Community Stability, Louisiana State University, 2002.
- M.S., Master's Thesis Title: Response of Phytoplankton on Grazing Pressure by Daphnia spp. in Dependence of Phosphorus Concentration in the Hypertrophic Bautzen Reservoir and in Enclosure Experiments, Technishe Universitat, Dresden, Germany, 1996.
- B.S., Biology, Universitat Potsdam, Germany, 1993.
- 2010-Present: Associate Professor, Department of Fish, Wildlife and Conservation Ecology, New Mexico State University-Las Cruces.
- 2004-2010: Assistant Professor, Department of Fishery and Wildlife Sciences, New Mexico State University-Las Cruces.
- 2002-2004: Post-doctoral Research Associate, Joint Institute for the Study of Atmosphere and Ocean (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and University of Washington).
- 1997-2002: Teaching Assistant, Louisiana State University.
My research interests lie in the effects of climate change and anthropogenic activities on the aquatic community and on predator-prey interactions. Furthermore, I study how various environmental parameters influence aquatic biodiversity and individual species. I am also involved in a collaborative effort to produce biodiesel from marine microalgae. I have experience in both freshwater and marine systems, and have worked on every trophic level of the aquatic food web.
- Boeing, W.J., K.L. Griffis-Kyle and J.M. Jungels. 2014. Anuaran landscape level habitat associations in the northern Chihuahuan Desert. Journal of Herpetology 48:000-000.
- Macanowicz, N. and W.J. Boeing. 2013. Evaluation of methods to assess benthic biodiversity in desert sinkholes. Freshwater Science 32:000-000.
- Xu, Y.Y. and W.J. Boeing. 2013. Mapping Biofuel Fields: A bibliometric evaluation of research output. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 28:82-91.
- Boeing, W.J. 2013. Aquaculture: an Ecologist's Perspective. Journal of Fisheries & Livestock Production 1:e105.
- Bartley, M.I., W.J. Boeing, A.A. Corcoran, F.O. Holguin and T. Schaub. 2013. Effects of salinity on growth and lipid accumulation of biofuel microalgae (Nannochloropsis salina) and invading organisms. Biomass & Bioenergy 54:83-88.
- Corcoran, A.A. and W.J. Boeing. 2012. Biodiversity increases the productivity and stability of phytoplankton communities. PLoS ONE:e49397.
- Boeing, W.J. 2010. Antipredator Defenses: Defensive Avoidance, In: Breed, M.D. and J. Moore (eds). Encyclopedia of Animal Behavior, 476-480 Oxford: Academic Press.
- Boeing, W.J. 2010. Sample portfolios across disciplines: Fish, Wildlife and Conservation Ecology - Wiebke J. Boeing. In: Seldin, P., J.E. Miller and C.A. Seldin. The teaching portfolio: a practical guide to improved performance and promotion/tenure decisions. 4th edition. Josey-Bass, A Wiley Imprint.
- Boeing, W.J. and C.W. Ramcharan. 2010. Inducible defenses are a stabilizing factor for predator and prey populations: a field experiment. Freshwater Biology 55:2332-2338.
- Boeing, W.J., B. Wissel and C.W. Ramcharan. 2010. Can costs and benefits of Daphnia defense against fish be measured in a field experiment? Fundamental and Applied Limnology 176:1-10.
- Jungels, J.M., K.L. Griffis-Kyle and W.J. Boeing. 2010. Low genetic differentiation among populations of the Great Plains Toad (Bufo cognatus) in Southern New Mexico. Copeia 2010:388-396.
- Hylander, S., W.J. Boeing, W. Graneli, J. Karlsson, J. von Einem, K. Gutseit and L.-A. Hansson. 2009. Complementary UV protective compounds in zooplankton. Limnolgy and Oceanography 54: 1883-1893.
- Leech, D.M., W.J. Boeing, S. Cooke, C.E. Williamson and L. Torres. 2009. UV-enhanced fish predation and the differential migration of zooplankton to UV radiation and fish. Limnology and Oceanography 54: 1152-1161.
- Cooke, S., C.E. Williamson, D.M. Leech, W.J. Boeing and L. Torres. 2008. Effects of temperature and ultraviolet radiation on diel vertical migration of freshwater zooplankton. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 65: 1144-1152.
- Boeing, W.J. and J.T. Duffy-Anderson. 2008. Ichthyoplankton dynamics and biodiversity in the Gulf of Alaska: responses to environmental change. Ecological Indicators 8: 292-302.
- Caceres, C.E., A. Christoff and W.J. Boeing. 2007. Variation in ephippial buoyancy in Daphnia pulicaria. Freshwater Biology 52: 313-318.
- Boeing, W.J., M.H. Martin and J.T. Duffy-Anderson. 2006. Groundfish. In: Spies, R.B. and A. Springer (eds). Long-term ecological change in the northern Gulf of Alaska. Pp. 294-305.
- Boeing, W.J., C.W. Ramcharan and H.P. Riessen. 2006. Clonal variation in depth distribution of Daphnia pulex in response to predator kairomones. Archiv fur Hydrobiologie 166:241-260.
- Boeing, W.J., C.W. Ramcharan and H.P. Riessen. 2006. Multiple predator defense strategies in Daphnia pulex and their relation to native habitat. Journal of Plankton Research 28:571-584.
- Boeing, W.J., B. Wissel and C.W. Ramcharan. 2005. Costs and benefits of Daphnia defense against Chaoborus in nature. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:1286-1294.
- Boeing, W.J., D.M. Leech, C.E. Williamson, S. Cooke and L. Torres. 2004. Damaging UV radiation and invertebrate predation: Conflicting selective pressures for zooplankton vertical distribution in the water column of low DOC lakes. Oecologia 138:603-612.
- Wissel, B., W.J. Boeing and C.W. Ramcharan. 2003. Effects of water color on predation regimes and zooplankton assemblages in freshwater lakes. Limnology and Oceanography 48:1965-1976.
- Benndorf J., W. Boeing, J. Koop and I. Neubauer. 2002. Top-down control of phytoplankton: the role of time scale, lake depth, and trophic state. Freshwater Biology 47:2282-2295.
- Benndorf, J., B. Wissel, A.F. Sell, U. Hornig, P. Ritter and W. Boeing. 2000. Food web manipulation by extreme enhancement of piscivory: an invertebrate predator compensates for the effects of planktivorous fish on a plankton community. Limnologica 30:235-245.
- Boeing, W.J., A. Wagner, H. Voigt, T. Deppe and J. Benndorf. 1998. Phytoplankton responses to grazing by Daphnia galeata in the biomanipulated Bautzen reservoir. Hydrobiologia 389:101-114.
- Kamjunke, N., W. Boeing and H. Voigt. 1997. Bacterial and primary production under hypertrophic conditions. Aquatic Microbial Ecology 13:29-35.