- Vegetable physiology and biochemistry
- Vegetable health bioactivity
- Organic agriculture
- PhD, Plant and Environmental Sciences, New Mexico State University (2009)
- MS, Biology, Texas Woman's University (2005)
- BS, Biology, University of Texas at San Antonio (2001)
- 2016 Present, Assistant Professor of Horticulture, Plant and Environmental Sciences, NMSU, Las Cruces, NM
- 2015 - 2016, Associate Faculty of Biology, Collin College and Richland College, Dallas, TX
- 2015, Science Program Teacher, Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Society, Dallas, TX
- 2014, Quality Control Manager, Vitality Works, Albuquerque, NM
- 2013 - 2014, Assistant Professor of Biology, Northern New Mexico College, Espanola, NM
- 2010 - 2013, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Plants for Human Health Institute, North Carolina State University, NC
- 2010 - Postdoctoral Fellow, Plant and Environmental Sciences, NMSU, NM
- Brown, A., Yousef, G., Guzman, I., Chebrolu, K., Werner, D., Parker, M., Gasic, K., and Perkins-Veazie, P. (2015) Variation of Carotenoids and Polyphenolics in Peach and Implications on Breeding for Modified Phytochemical Profiles. Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science. 139:1-11.
- Guzman, I., Grace, M., Yousef, G.G., Raskin, I., and Lila, M.A. (2015) Novel Strategies for Capturing Health-Protective Mango Phytochemicals in Shelf Stable Food Matrices. International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition. (doi:10.3109/09637486.2014.979315)
- Yousef, G.G., Grace, M.H., Guerrero Medina, J.L., Neff, S., Guzman, I., Brown, A.F., Raskin, I., and Lila, M.A. (2014) Concentrating immunoprotective phytoactive compounds from fruits and vegetables into shelf-stable protein-rich ingredients. Plant Foods for Human Nutrition [QUAL-D-14-00289R1]
- Brown, A.F., Yousef, G.G., Chebrolu, K.K., Byrd, R.W., Everhart, K.W., Thomas, A., Reid, R.W., Parkin, I.A., Sharpe, A.G., Oliver, R., Guzman, I., and Jackson, E.W. (2014) High-density single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) array mapping in Brassica oleracea: identification of QTL associated with carotenoid variation in broccoli florets. Theoretical and Applied Genetics. 127(9):2051-2064.
- Yousef, G.G., Lila, M.A., Guzman, I., Ballington, J. and Brown, A.B. (2014) Impact of Interspecific Introgression on Anthocyanin Profiles of Southern Highbush Blueberries (Vaccinium spp.) Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science. 139:99-112.
- Grace, Mary, Guzman, I., Roopchand, D.E., Moskal, K., Cheng, D.M., Pogrebnyak, N., Raskin, I., Howell, A., and Lila, M.A. (2013) Stable binding of alternative protein-enriched food matrices with concentrated cranberry bioflavonoids for functional food applications. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 61(28):6856-6864.
- Guzman, I., Yousef, G.G., and Brown, A.F. (2012) Simultaneous extraction and quantitation of carotenoids, chlorophylls, and tocopherols in Brassica vegetables. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 60(29):7238-7244.
- Rodriguez, L., Guzman, I., Rajapakse, W., Richins, R.D., and O'Connell, M.A. (2012) Carotenoid accumulation in orange pigmented Capsicum annuum fruit, regulated at multiple levels. Journal of Experimental Botany. 63(1):517-526.
- Guzman, I., Bosland, P. W., and O'Connell, M.A. (2011) Heat, color and flavor compounds in Capsicum Fruit. The Biological Activity of Phytochemicals. Ed. David R. Gang. Springer, New York. 109-126.
- Guzman, I., Hamby, S., Romero, J., Bosland, P.W., and O'Connell, M.A. (2010) Variability of carotenoid biosynthesis in orange colored Capsicum spp. Plant Science, 179:49-59.