- Ph.D., Soil Science, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY, 2013.
- M.Sc. Soil Science, Tribhuvan University, Nepal, 2006.
- B.Sc. Agriculture (Soil Science), Tribhuvan University, Nepal, 2004.
My research focuses on soil and crop management practices that improve efficiency, profitability, and soil environmental quality. I am interested in soil organic carbon and nutrient cycling, soil carbon sequestration, soil-plant relations, and greenhouse gas (CO2, CH4, and N2O) emissions, soil organic matter - microbial community interactions, and their relationships with nutrient cycling and other ecosystem services. I enjoyed working on integrated cropping systems research that emphasizes soil conservation and improve crop yields.
- Assistant Professor-cropping systems (Oct. 2015 - date) New Mexico State University, Agricultural Science Center, Clovis, New Mexico.
- Postdoctoral Scholar (Jan. 2014 - Sept. 2015) Oregon State University, Columbia Basin Agricultural Research Center, Pendleton, Oregon.
- Postdoctoral Research Associate (June 2013 - Dec. 2013) University of Wyoming, Department of Ecosystem Science and Management, Laramie, WY.
- Graduate Assistant (Aug. 2009 - May 2013) University of Wyoming, Department of Ecosystem Science and Management, Laramie, WY.
- Visiting Scientist (May - July 2008) Wageningen University and Research Centre/ Louis Bolk Institute, the Netherlands.
- Lecturer of Soil Science (June 2006 - July 2009) Tribhuvan University, Institute of Agriculture and Animal Sciences, Nepal
- Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant (2004 - 2006)
USAID Soil Management - Collaborative Research Support Program, Tribhuvan University, Institute of Agriculture and Animal Sciences, Nepal
Ghimire R., U. Norton, P. Bista, A. Obour, and J.B. Norton. Soil organic matter, greenhouse gases, and net global warming potential of irrigated cropping systems. Manuscript in review.
Bista, P., S. Machado, S. R. Ghimire, S.J. Del-Grosso, and M. Reyes-Fox. 2016. Simulating soil organic carbon in a wheat – fallow system using the DAYCENT model. Agronomy Journal. In Press (August 2016).
Ghimire. R. and P. Bista. Crop diversification improves pH of acidic soils. Journal of Crop Improvement. In Press (July 2016).
Ghimire, R., S. Lamichhane, B.S. Acharya, P. Bista, and U.M. Sainju. 2016. Tillage, crop residue, and nutrient management effects on soil organic carbon sequestration in rice-based cropping systems: A Review. Journal of Integrative Agriculture. doi: 10.1016/S2095-3119(16)61337-0
Ghimire R. 2016. Approaches in Cropping Systems Research and Challenges (Invited Opinion). Advances in Plant and Agricultural Research. 3(2): 00088.
Ghimire R., S. Machado, and K. Rhinhart. 2015. Long-term crop residue and nitrogen management effects on soil profile carbon and nitrogen in wheat – fallow systems. Agronomy Journal 107:2230-2240. DOI: 10.2134/agronj14.0601.
Bista, P., U. Norton, R. Ghimire, and J.B. Norton. 2015. Greenhouse gas fluxes and soil carbon and nitrogen following single summer tillage. International Journal of Plant and Soil Science 6:183-193. DOI: 10.9734/IJPSS/2015/16234.
Ghimire, R., J.B. Norton, P.D. Stahl, and U. Norton, 2014. Soil microbial substrate properties and microbial community responses under irrigated organic and reduced-tillage crop and forage production systems. PLoS ONE 9(8): e103901. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0103901.
Paudel, B., B.S. Acharya, R. Ghimire, K.R. Dahal, and P.Bista. 2014. Adapting agriculture to climate change and variability in Chitwan: long-term trends and farmers' perceptions. Agricultural Research 3:165-174. DOI: 10.1007/s40003-014-0103-0.
Ghimire, R. J.B. Norton, and E. Pendall. 2014. Alfalfa-grass biomass, soil organic carbon, and total nitrogen under different management approaches in an irrigated agroecosystem. Plant and Soil 374:173-184. DOI 10.1007/s11104-013-1854-2