FSPCA PREVENTIVE CONTROLS FOR HUMAN FOOD BLENDED COURSE for Preventive Controls Qualified Individual (PCQI)
Online and Instructor-led face-to-face training offered (English)
RESCHEDULED DATE for ENGLISH COURSE: OCTOBER 26, 2017 ONLY--(AUGUST 31, 2017 HAS BEEN CANCELLED)
This training program was developed by the Food Safety Preventative Controls Alliance (FSPCA) for the food and beverage industry which handle and produce food that must comply with FDA FSMA requirements for training. Compliance dates for various facilities is listed below. This course for Preventative Controls Qualified Individual (PCQI) meets the FDA FSMA training requirement and will receive a certificate issued by AFDO.
The objectives of this training are for the food safety professional who must have the following skills:
- Efficient management of a FSMA Food Safety Plan and Good Manufacturing practices.
- Conduct a risk assessment to determine controls for process, food allergen, sanitation and supply chain procedures in the food processing environment.
- Implement the requirements for verification, validation, and record keeping.
According to the guidance document for FSMA Preventative Controls for Human Food, Compliance dates for food businesses are staggered over several years after publication of the final rule. VisitFDA.GOV.
2019- Very small businesses (averaging less than $1 million per year (adjusted for inflation) in both annual sales of human food plus the market value of human food manufactured, processed, packed, or held without sale): Three years, except for records to support its status as a very small business (January 1, 2016).
2019-Businesses subject to the Pasteurized Milk Ordinance (compliance dates extended to allow time for changes to the PMO safety standards that incorporate the requirements of this preventive controls rule): Three years
2018- Small businesses (a business with fewer than 500 full-time equivalent employees): Two years
2017- All other businesses: One year. Compliance dates after publication of the final rule for the requirements of the supply chain program:
- 2018- Receiving facility is a small business and its supplier will not be subject to the human preventive controls rule or the produce safety rule: Two years
- 2018- Receiving facility is a small business and its supplier will be subject to the human preventive controls rule or the produce safety rule: Two years or six months after the supplier is required to comply with the applicable rule, whichever is later
- 2018- Receiving facility is not a small or very small business and its supplier will not be subject to the human preventive controls rule or the produce safety rule: 18 months
- Receiving facility is not a small or very small business and its supplier will be subject to the human preventive controls rule or the produce safety rule: Six months after the supplier is required to comply with the applicable rule.
For more information see, Compliance Date Extensions and Clarifications for FSMA Final Rules.
New Mexico State University Extension Food Technology is pleased to offer Food Safety Preventive Controls Alliance (FSPCA) Blended Training course.
The Blended course consists of 2 parts. Part 1 is offered online by IFTPI for $198 and Part 2 is instructor-led face-to-face training.
Both parts must be completed in order to obtain the certificate.
The cost of the one-day course is $450.00 which includes the instruction, exercises to develop food safety plan, $50.00 certification fee, light refreshments and mid-day meal.
IMPORTANT! Once you begin the process, you have up to six months to complete the Part 1: Online course. Upon completion, you have six months to complete a Part 2: Instructor-Led course. We recommend you have a Part 2: Instructor-Led course identified before enrolling in Part 1: Online.
Before you enroll for Part 1: Online course, please read the background information to help you understand how the course is structured and what options will work best for you.
IFTPI ENROLLMENT - PART 1: Online CourseONLINE COURSE COST is $198. Once enrolled, you can begin the course immediately! You will also receive an automated enrollment confirmation email. Upon completion of Part 1: Online, you will receive an enrollment ticket and a completion email so that you can attend Part 2: Instructor-Led training.
LOCATION FOR INSTRUCTOR -LED FACE-TO-FACE TRAINING (English)
OCTOBER 26, 2017: NMSU, Gerald Thomas Hall, Room 303
TIME: 7:00 am to 6:00 pmRegister Now! (October)
BLENDED COURSE STRUCTURE Training Sequence: This Blended course has two parts. Those who complete the Part 1: Online are eligible to attend a one-day Part 2: Instructor-Led course taught by an FSPCA Lead instructor. You must complete both parts to receive the FSPCA Certificate of Training. BLENDED COURSE PART 1: ONLINE Course Content –consists of 16 modules covering:
- Introduction to Course
- Food Safety Plan Overview
- GMPs & Other Prerequisite Programs
- Biological Food Safety Hazards
- Chemical, Physical, and Economically Motivated Food Safety Hazards
- Preliminary Steps for a Food Safety Plan
- Resources for Food Safety Plan
- Hazard Analysis & PC Determination
- Process Preventive Controls
- Food Allergen Preventive Controls
- Sanitation Preventive Controls
- Supply-Chain Preventive Controls
- Verification & Validation Procedures
- Record-Keeping Procedures
- Recall Plans
- Regulation Overview
MINIMUM COMPUTER REQUIREMENTS: Browser – Part 1: Online runs on the latest versions of all popular Internet browsers, however for best result we recommend Google Chrome. If you are using a PC, your operating system should be at least Windows 7. If you are using a Mac, your operating system should be at least OSX 10.10. Mobile devices are not supported at this time. Additional Software Programs Needed – You will need to have a software program called Adobe Acrobat Reader™ DC on your computer. If you don't have this program, it can be downloaded to your computer for free. To download this program, go to the Adobe website. The free version is all you'll need for this course. Follow the steps to download Acrobat Reader™.
TRAINING MANUALHere you can access a free .PDF version. It is strongly recommended that you use the Participant Manual while completing Part 1: Online. Please be advised that the free .PDF version is 526 pages if you intend to print it yourself. These same manuals will be available for purchase during the one day training session.
FSPCA BookstoreYou can order a hard copy here for $30. These same manuals will be available for purchase during the one day training session.
New Mexico State University Extension Food Technology will offer NEW dates to complete this training in SPANISH on October 23, 24, and 25, 2017.
FSPCA, FDA, IIT, IFSH Registered Instructors: Mauricio Castelo, Ph.D., Nancy Flores, Ph.D.
Dr. Nancy Flores
Food Technology Extension Specialist
P.O. Box 30003, MSC-3AE
Las Cruces, NM 88003-8003
Phone: 575 646-1179
Fax: 575 646-1889
Registration Contact: Gloria Hernandez
Phone: (575) 646-2198