COMMUNITY and SCHOOL GARDENS
Extension Resources and Links to help you plan and sustain a community garden
Gardens are an integral fabric of the community. Many questions and challenges exist with how to start, what to grow, when to harvest, what is eating my plant, etc...
Your local extension office can assist you with local cultural practices and recommendations, varieties, insects, etc... We cannot manage your community garden for you, but we will assist you and provide educational tools for your community garden.
A practical gardening guide for the Albuquerque area is entitled "Down to Earth" written by the Albuquerque Master Gardeners. It provides gardening tips for different areas of town based on elevation and soil types as well as month to month seasonal gardening tips.
NMSU Publication on community vegetable gardens
NMSU Extension How-to Link for the home garden and landscape publications
- Building Community from the Roots Up Ideas and pictures of community and school gardens around Albuquerque, NM
- Community Garden Tool Kit Workbook University of Missouri Extension Publication guides you through step by step about the process of starting, working, and sustaining a community garden. Extended resources and downloadables
- Questions to consider when starting a community garden checklist
- Community Garden Resource Ideas from University of New Hampshite with challenges of community gardens
- Plot style community Gardens with Garden Bed Designs University of Minnesota Extension ideas on salsa gardens, canning gardens, and plot community gardens