ICAN (Ideas for Cooking and Nutrition)
I CAN participants learn:
- how to plan and prepare nutritious meals using foods that are easily available,
- to develop healthier eating habits,
- how to incorporate physical activity each day,
- how to shop for and prepare nutritious foods in a way that stretches food dollars,
- and how put basic food safety principles to work in their kitchens to protect their family from food-borne illness.
ICAN classes are for adults or youth in group settings. To bring ICAN Classes to your school, organization or worksite; or if you would like more information about the Bernalillo County ICAN Program, contact Donna.
ICAN Calendar -- Adult Classes
Register For A Class
Our classes are free and open to qualified families, individuals and seniors only.
To qualify, you must:
- be eligible for or receiving Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits, and
- be a Bernalillo County resident.
To register, please:
- review our calendar on this page,
- choose one or more dates that will work for you, and then
- contact us.
Meet Our ICAN Nutrition Education Team
Check back soon for more photos of our Nutrition Educators!
Classoom Resources: Donna's Picks
TEACHERS! Check out our ICAN Coordinator's favorite classroom resources!
ICAN in Action
Every student at Chaparral Elementary School in Albuquerque proudly received a certificate from the ICAN program this year! Read more. They are among the 2,000 students in Albuquerque and 15,200 students across the state this year who have completed the nutrition program from New Mexico State University Cooperative Extension Service nutrition educators. See video.
Donna Sauter, M.S., R.D., L.D.
Bernalillo County Cooperative Extension Service
1510 Menaul Blvd., NW
Albuquerque, NM 87107