Bernalillo County Extension Master Composters
The mission of a Master Composter is to share information with interested citizens about the art, science, materials and methods of home composting. Hopefully, Master Composters in each participating county will form their own group organization that will coordinate local community outreach education. Prior to that formation each student should identify future teaching venues.
Students may complete their volunteer time in their own home county. The format for reporting volunteer hours that have been completed will follow below. For future outreach presentations it is suggested that Master Composters work in teams of two or more. This would provide for mutual assistance and support with the experience.
Possible Community Teaching Venues
- Senior Centers
- Community Gardens
- Community Supported Agriculture Farms
- Community Colleges
- Continuing Ed.
- Garden Clubs
- Faith Based Groups
- Boy/Girl Scout groups
- 4H Groups
- Botanical Gardens
- Farmers/Growers Markets
- Service Clubs: Rotary, Lions, Kiwanis
- Garden Centers and Nurseries
- Neighborhood/Homeowner Associations
- Home Schooling Groups
- Recommendations from County Horticulture Agents
- Keep NM Beautiful Affiliate in Your Community
- State Fair
Venues in Bernalillo County That Have Agreed to be Future Teaching and Demonstration Sites for Master Composters
- The Open Space Visitor Center, 6500 Coors Blvd. NW, Albuquerque, NM 87103
- The Gutierrez-Hubbell House Farm, 6029 Isleta Blvd. SW, Albuquerque, NM 87105
- Mountain Gardens Nursery, Alyson East, 12216 State Hwy 14 North, Cedar Crest, NM 87008, 505-286-1778
- Possible: Action Buzz Neighborhood Garden, 1255 8th St., Albuquerque, NM
- Possible: Rio Grande Botanic Garden, Traditions Farm, 2601 Central Ave. NW, Albuquerque, NM 87104
Additional recommendations may be sent to the coordinator.
Reporting Volunteer Hours
Each member and intern shall report their total completed volunteer hours to the Outreach Coordinator, John Zarola at firstname.lastname@example.org, by October 1.
The report should include the following information:
- Name of master composter instructor.
- Total number of volunteer hours to be credited
- Date, time, location of the service events
- Number of participants for each event
- Topic(s) taught for each event
Also see Standing Rules (Article X) in our Bylaws for volunteer requirements, deadlines, etc.