The Sandoval County Master Gardeners offer plant clinics at various locations in Sandoval County. They are held on Saturdays during the spring and late summer season.
One set of plant clinics is held at Home Depot, Hwy 550, Rio Rancho and the second set of plant clinics is held at the Santa Ana Native Garden Center, Hwy 550. The Home Depot plant clinics are held the 1st Saturday of each month from May through September and the plant clinics at the Santa Ana Native Garden Center are held the 3rd Saturday from May through September. Both Plant Clinics are held from 10 to 2 p.m. Maryellen Sherman is the project chair.
Plant Clinic Protocol:
- In February contact managers at the Home Depot and the Santa Ana Native Garden Center to confirm that they want you to hold the Plant Clinic at their place of business.
- Meet with agent or coordinator to confirm the locations and dates of the plant clinics.
- In April, check the plant clinic banners condition; check the sign-up sheets and hand-outs for the 10 clinics at the Sandoval County Extension Office. Select handouts to distribute to clients. Replace copies of handouts for each plant clinic as needed. Get new handouts from the office as new information comes out.
- At the last Intern class in April have sign-up sheets ready for volunteers to sign up for either plant clinic. One week before each plant clinic send the volunteers an email reminder of their commitment and the time of the plant clinic. Remind each volunteer to bring water, a snack, sunscreen, a hat, a chair, and any gardening material they use for reference.
- One week before the plant clinic distribute flyers to the participating nurseries for hand-out.
- Be sure that volunteers, as well as clients, sign the sign-up sheet. If a client has a question or requests further information, get their name, address and telephone number so you can send them the requested information from the Extension Office or call them after further research has been done. Work closely with the Home Visit chair-person to be able to address any current problems that may have risen in the county. Also, have any information the Extension Office may have sent out regarding plant or tree issues.
- At the end of the plant clinic, gather up your materials and put the table back. Be sure no items are left behind.
- After each plant clinic, give the Extension Office secretary the volunteer and client sign-up sheets.
Plant Clinic Protocol for Interns:
- At the first MG training class, be prepared to present the Plant Clinic protocol to the new trainees and hand out copies of the protocol. The Assistant Coordinator will tell you when you are to present the Plant Clinic information to the Interns.
- Explain that sign up for all volunteer activities will be at the last class in April.