eSource: Creating Stronger Passwords
Create a strong password using these five simple steps.
- Think of a memorable sentence as the basis of your password or phrase.
Example-"I love Hatch green chile."
- Convert your sentence to a password.
Example-"ilhgc", using every first letter.
- Make your password more complex by mixing upper and lower case letters.
Example-"IlHgC", changing the case of several letters.
- Then, substitute some special characters and/or symbols.
Example-"I1H9C", substituting numbers.
- Finally, test your password with Password Checker. Password Checker helps determine your password’s strength for you.
Microsoft Password Checker
- Make it lengthy.
- Use the entire keyboard.
- Use letters, numbers, and symbols.
- Avoid using your username.
- Use more than one password for multiple accounts.
- Never share your password, especially based on an unsolicited e-mail request.
Submitted by: Admin ACES Technology Help Desk
Date submitted: 12/14/2006, last modified 10/04/2012
Categories: Computers and Technology