April 30, 2016
Family and Consumer Sciences
- Student Fashion Show - The original creations of Clothing, Textiles, and Fashion Merchandising students Esther Flores, Tingting Laub, Savannah Ruden, Drisana De La Torre, and Brooke Stevens were featured in a fashion show at Barnes and Nobles on campus. Over 200 people attended the student show that was produced under the direction of Dr. Roselyn Smitley and emceed by students Lauren Effle and Jonathan Mirabal.
- Student Recruitment - Thirty students from Hatch Valley High School toured the department and learned about majors and career opportunities in Family and Consumer Sciences. They tasted gelato, observed the demonstration of a spray food dryer, and heard presentations from students Shannon Farkas, Aaron Espinosa, Kinsey Fisher, and Rebecca Mijares and faculty members Dr. Efren Delgado and Dr. Sharon Bartley. Play Therapy Conference - Traci Laney, Ana Maestas, and Kendra Wood, graduate students in marriage and family therapy, attended the New Mexico Association for Play Therapy conference in Albuquerque along with Dr. Kourtney Vaillancourt, Family and Child Science faculty member. Marriage and family therapy students provide play therapy to children and families at the NMSU Family Resource Center located in Cervantes Village. Play therapy uses toys and games to engage children and their families in their own language, that of play. Through play, children are able to express themselves and work through stress, anxiety, and even trauma in a safe and fun way.
- The college Awards Day celebration took place on April 29 at the University Golf Course banquet rooms. Awardees were: Beverly Idsinga, Executive Director New Mexico Dairy Producers, received the New Mexico Outstanding Leadership Award, Ramon "Dosi" Alvarez, Organic Farmer, received the Philip J. Leyendecker Agriculturist of Distinction Award, and Andy Nunez, Mayor of Hatch and State Representative, received the Fabian Garcia Founders Award of Excellence.
- Charles Tharp Farms Distinguished Service Award-Stuart Munson-McGee
- Mobley Family Endowed Research Award-Steven Guldan
- Malone Farms Endowed Staff Award for Off Campus - Patricia Cooksey
- Kringle the Cat Distinguished Teaching Award - Ram Acharya
- Outstanding 4-H Agent - Jack Blandford
- Underdog Distinguished Extension Award - Stephanie Walker
- Distinguished Staff Award on-Campus - Karen Montoya
- Distinguished Professional Staff On-Campus - Jacqueline Beacham
- Distinguished County Agent Award-Cindy Davies
- NACTA Teaching Award - Ryan Ashley
- Team Award-Media Production/Learning Games Lab
During the awards ceremony Woods Houghton, Eddy County Extension Agent, was honored for receiving the Bruce and Allice King Service Award given to him by the New Mexico Cattle Growers Association; FCS Industry Leadership Award went to Kathy Treat, HRTM Industry Leadership Award went to Gene Roche, and the Outstanding Family & consumer Science Teacher Award went to Cheryle Hinrichs. The Extension Specialist Association awarded Leslie Beck with the New Specialist Award, Carol Sutherland with the Distinguished Service Award, and Connie Moyers for the County Faculty award.