Requirements of the SAFE Program
- Major in Food Science, Human Nutrition, Animal Nutrition, or other agriculture/science major related to USDA careers.
- Hispanic / Latino ethnicity; U.S. Citizen.
- Maintain a 3.0 Overall GPA while in graduate school.
- Be a full-time student (enrolled in at least 9 credit hours) in the Fall and Spring semesters.
- Complete all requirements to graduate with a master's degree.
- Work with a faculty member on a research project and present results at a professional conference (funding for travel provided).
- Attend a mandatory 2-day summer workshop at Texas State University during Summer 2015 (funding for travel provided).
- Participate in a USDA internship and job shadowing event.
- Attend periodic teleconference sessions with Texas State University.
- Attend periodic program meetings at Texas State University.
- Complete 5 Department of Homeland Security and Federal Emergency Management Agency online e-learning courses.
- Participate in a summer professional development workshops: Latinos in Agriculture: Professional Development and Career Preparedness for the 21st Century (Summer 2015 & 2016), USDA Careers in Agriculture Consortium (Summer 2016), or the Southwest Agriculture, Food Security and Safety Research Meeting (Summer 2018).
United States Department of Agriculture Funded Project, USDA Award No. 2014-02690