Fashion Merchandising & Design
Every Day Is A Fashion Show & The World Is The Runway
Fashion Merchandising & Design is an applied business program which focuses on the diverse aspects of the fashion industry.
Our program brings together the creative aspects and competitive business knowledge needed in this fast paced industry. The degree plan includes major courses in apparel construction and design, textile science, fashion merchandising and promotion with supporting coursework in areas such as art, accounting, business administration, communications, marketing, and management.
Students also have the opportunity for:
- Practical experience through retail or design internships
- Develop professional business skills and attitudes
- Develop leadership skills
- Develop an understanding of cultural diversity and social responsibility
Why Major In Fashion Merchandising & Design?
Whether you have a flair for design or an interest in merchandising you'll find a variety of career opportunities in the dynamic, creative, and challenging world of fashion.
The fashion industry is made up of diverse, team-oriented businesses that depend on people who possess creative ideas, technical skills, product knowledge, high levels of energy, and good business judgment.
Our faculty and staff is dedicated to serving the needs of students focused on a career in the fashion industry.
Degree programs are designed to provide students with the education and technical skills needed for a career in a fast-paced, exciting, global industry.
You Will Learn About
- Apparel Design and Textile Design
- Merchandise Buying
- Fashion Promotion
- History of Fashion
- Distribution & Retailing in a Global Environment
- Retail & Design Management
- Brand & Product Marketing
- Business Management
FMAD Program of Study
2021-2022 Degree Check
- Fashion Buyer
- Creative Director
- Fashion Event Coordinator
- Fashion Stylist
- Fashion Designer
- Promotion Coordinator
- Fashion Magazine Editorial Contributor
- Fashion Stylist
- Trend/fashion Forecaster
- Sales Representative for Wholesale Industry
- Store/Department Manager
- Textile and Apparel Product Developer
- Quality Control Technician
- Retail Manager
- Brand Manager
Possible Field Experience Sites/Internships
- JC Penney
- Sam’s Club
- Hudson's Bay Company
- Thirty-One Gifts
- Ralph Lauren
- Victoria’s Secret
Wardrobe WorkshopRestyle Your Future for Upward Economic Mobility
Dr. Kelley Coffeen
Department of Family and Consumer Sciences
Box 30003, MSC 3470
Las Cruces, NM 88003-8003