Family and Consumer Sciences Graduate Programs
The Master of Science degree in Family and Consumer Sciences (FCSC) can be obtained with an emphasis in one of the following areas:
- Clothing, Textiles and Fashion Merchandising
- Family and Child Science
- Marriage and Family Therapy
- Teaching, Research and Administration
- Family and Consumer Sciences Education
- Human Nutrition and Dietetic Sciences
- Human Nutrition
- Dietetic Internship - (Director, Gaby Phillips, MS, RD, LD)
- Food Science and Technology
- General Family and Consumer Sciences
- Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Management
Marcel Montanez, PhD, LMFT
Combined Masters Degree and Dietetic InternshipOur program combines the dietetic internship with a graduate program leading to a Master of Science in Family and Consumer Sciences. Upon successful completion of the Combined Master's Degree + Dietetic Internship, the student qualifies to take the registration examination to become a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist (RD/RDN).
Marriage and Family Therapy ProgramOur program combines a Masters of Science (MS) program in to the Marriage and Family Therapy (MFT) program. Here we train students to provide quality clinical services in the field of marriage and family therapy. Specific to this goal, the MFT masters program works to educate culturally competent and social justice-minded MFT clinicians prepared to meet the needs of diverse populations in New Mexico and nationally.
FCSC Degree Requirements
Thesis Plan Requires:
- Minimum of 30 credits (including 4-6 credits of thesis).
- One-half of the credits must be from the 500 level.
- One-half of credits taken must be from the Department of Family and Consumer Sciences.
- Oral exam on completion of the above requirements.
Non Thesis Plan Requires:
- Minimum of 32 credits of course work.
- One-half of the credits must be from above the 500 level.
- One-half of the credits must come from the Department of Family and Consumer Sciences.
- Oral AND written examination upon completion of the above requirements.
A minor may be taken in a variety of supporting fields that fit the particular interests of the candidate.
The admissions criteria for the Department of Family and Consumer Sciences (FCSC) Graduate Program include:
- Graduate school application - Forwarded to Department from Graduate School
- Official transcripts - Forwarded to Department from Graduate School
- Letter of application
- Three letters of reference
- Psychometric test results (e.g., GRE (only one accepted for Marriage and Family Therapy program; Dietetic Internship and Family and Consumer Sciences Education); Miller's Analogy; ADA Exam)
- Summer Session I, II, and Fall -- March 1
Marriage & Family Therapy (MFT) Program -- February 1st
Dietetic Internship -- February 15
- Summer Session II and Fall -- June 1
- Spring -- November 1
Gerald Thomas Hall