Wiebke J. Boeing
Research Area: Aquatic Ecology
Office Location: Knox 112
Email Address: email@example.com
Office Phone: 575-646-1707
Office Fax: 575-646-1281
- Ph.D., Dissertation Title: Costs and Benefits of Daphnia Antipredator Behavior and Consequences on Community Stability, Louisiana State University, 2002.
- M.S., Master's Thesis Title: Response of Phytoplankton on Grazing Pressure by Daphnia spp. in Dependence of Phosphorus Concentration in the Hypertrophic Bautzen Reservoir and in Enclosure Experiments, Technishe Universitat, Dresden, Germany, 1996.
- B.S., Biology, Universitat Potsdam, Germany, 1993.
- 2015-present: Professor, Department of Fish, Wildlife and Conservation Ecology, New Mexico State University-Las Cruces.
- 2010-2015: Associate Professor, Department of Fish, Wildlife and Conservation Ecology, New Mexico State University-Las Cruces.
- 2004-2010: Assistant Professor, Department of Fishery and Wildlife Sciences, New Mexico State University-Las Cruces.
- 2002-2004: Post-doctoral Research Associate, Joint Institute for the Study of Atmosphere and Ocean (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and University of Washington).
- 1997-2002: Teaching Assistant, Louisiana State University.
My research interests lie in the effects of climate change and anthropogenic activities on the aquatic community and on predator-prey interactions. Furthermore, I study how various environmental parameters influence aquatic biodiversity and individual species. I am also involved in a collaborative effort to produce biodiesel from marine microalgae. I have experience in both freshwater and marine systems, and have worked on every trophic level of the aquatic food web.
- Siville, B., W.J. Boeing. 2020. Optimization of algal turf scrubber (ATS) technology through targeted harvest rate. Bioresource Technology Reports 9: 100360.
- Campos, H., W.J. Boeing, H.L. Throop. 2019. Decaying woodrat (Neotoma spp.) middens increase soil resources and accelerate decomposition of contemporary litter. Journal of Arid Environments 17: 104007.
- Canton, M.C., F.O. Holguin, W.J. Boeing. 2019. Alkaloid gramine to control algal invaders: Algae inhibition and gramine persistence. Bioresource Technology Reports 7: 100304.
- Oyebamiji, O.O., W.J. Boeing, F.O. Holguin, O. Ilori, O. Amund. 2019. Green microalgae cultured in textile wastewater for biomass generation and biodetoxification of heavy metals and chromogenic substances. Bioresource Technology Reports 7: 100247.
- Corcoran, A.A., M. Seger, R. Niu, N. Nirmalakhandan, P.J. Lammers, F.O. Holguin and W.J. Boeing. 2019. Evidence for induced allelopathy in an isolate of Coelastrella following co-culture with Chlorella sorokiniana. Algal Research 41: 101535.
- Platt, S.G., J.L. Smith, T.R. Rainwater and W.J. Boeing. 2019. Notes on the predation of rough-footed mud turtles (Kinosternon hirtipes) in West Texas, USA. Western North American Naturalist 79: 130-134.
- Smith, J.L., S.G. Platt, R.L. Martin and W.J. Boeing. 2018. Kinosternon hirtipes (rough-footed mud turtle) nesting behavior and description of nest sites. Herpetological Review 49: 109-110.
- Lammers, P.J., M. Huesemann, W. Boeing, D.B. Anderson, R.G. Arnold, X. Bai, K. Balachandran, M. Bohle, Y. Brhanavan, L. Brown, J. Brown, J.K. Brown, S. Chisholm, C.M. Downes, S. Fulbright, Y. Ge, J.E. Holladay, A. Khopkar, A. Koushik, P. Laur, B.L. Barrone, J.B. Mott, N. Nirmalakhandan, K.L. Ogden, R.L. Parson, J. Polle, R.D. Ryan, T. Samocha, M. Seger, T. Selvaratnam, R. Sui, A. Thomasson, A. Unc, W. Van Voorhies, P. Waller, Y. Yao and J. Olivares. 2017. Review of the cultivation program within the National Alliance for Advanced Biofuels and Bioproducts. Algal Research 22:166-185.
- Bartley, M.L., W.J. Boeing, D. Daniels, B.N. Dungan and T. Schaub. 2016. Optimization of environmental parameters for Nannochloropsis salina growth and lipid content using the response surface method and invading organisms. Journal of Applied Phycology 28:15-24.
- Smith, J.L., S.G. Platt and W.J. Boeing. 2015. Kinosternon hirtipes (rough-footed mud turtle) maximum size and habitat. Herpetological Review 46:82-83.
- Xu, Y. and W.J. Boeing. 2014. Modeling maximum lipid productivity of microalgae: Review and next step. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 32:29-39.
- Bartley, M.L., W.J. Boeing, F.O. Holguin and T. Schaub. 2014. Effect of pH on growth and lipid accumulation of the biofuel microalgae Nannochloropsis salina and invading organisms. Journal of Applied Physiology 26:1431-1437.
- Harings, N.M. and W.J. Boeing. 2014. Desert anuran occurrence and detection in artificial breeding habitats. Herpetologica 70:123-134.
- Campos, H., W.J. Boeing, B.N. Dungan and T. Schaub. 2014. Cultivating the marine microalga Nannochloropsis salina under various nitrogen sources: Effect on biomass yields, lipid content and composition, and invasive organisms. Biomass & Bioenergy 66:301-307.
- Boeing, W.J., K.L. Griffis-Kyle and J.M. Jungels. 2014. Anuran landscape level habitat associations in the northern Chihuahuan Desert. Journal of Herpetology 48:103-110.
- Macanowicz, N. W.J. Boeing and W.R. Gould. 2013. Evaluation of methods to assess benthic biodiversity in desert sinkholes. Freshwater Science 32:1101-1110.
- Xu, Y.Y. and W.J. Boeing. 2013. Mapping Biofuel Fields: A bibliometric evaluation of research output. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 28:82-91.
- Boeing, W.J. 2013. Aquaculture: an Ecologist's Perspective. Journal of Fisheries & Livestock Production 1:e105.
- Bartley, M.I., W.J. Boeing, A.A. Corcoran, F.O. Holguin and T. Schaub. 2013. Effects of salinity on growth and lipid accumulation of biofuel microalgae (Nannochloropsis salina) and invading organisms. Biomass & Bioenergy 54:83-88.
- Corcoran, A.A. and W.J. Boeing. 2012. Biodiversity increases the productivity and stability of phytoplankton communities. PLoS ONE:e49397.
- Boeing, W.J. 2010. Antipredator Defenses: Defensive Avoidance, In: Breed, M.D. and J. Moore (eds). Encyclopedia of Animal Behavior, 476-480 Oxford: Academic Press.
- Boeing, W.J. 2010. Sample portfolios across disciplines: Fish, Wildlife and Conservation Ecology - Wiebke J. Boeing. In: Seldin, P., J.E. Miller and C.A. Seldin. The teaching portfolio: a practical guide to improved performance and promotion/tenure decisions. 4th edition. Josey-Bass, A Wiley Imprint.
- Boeing, W.J. and C.W. Ramcharan. 2010. Inducible defenses are a stabilizing factor for predator and prey populations: a field experiment. Freshwater Biology 55:2332-2338.
- Boeing, W.J., B. Wissel and C.W. Ramcharan. 2010. Can costs and benefits of Daphnia defense against fish be measured in a field experiment? Fundamental and Applied Limnology 176:1-10.
- Jungels, J.M., K.L. Griffis-Kyle and W.J. Boeing. 2010. Low genetic differentiation among populations of the Great Plains Toad (Bufo cognatus) in Southern New Mexico. Copeia 2010:388-396.
- Hylander, S., W.J. Boeing, W. Graneli, J. Karlsson, J. von Einem, K. Gutseit and L.-A. Hansson. 2009. Complementary UV protective compounds in zooplankton. Limnolgy and Oceanography 54: 1883-1893.
- Leech, D.M., W.J. Boeing, S. Cooke, C.E. Williamson and L. Torres. 2009. UV-enhanced fish predation and the differential migration of zooplankton to UV radiation and fish. Limnology and Oceanography 54: 1152-1161.
- Cooke, S., C.E. Williamson, D.M. Leech, W.J. Boeing and L. Torres. 2008. Effects of temperature and ultraviolet radiation on diel vertical migration of freshwater zooplankton. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 65: 1144-1152.
- Boeing, W.J. and J.T. Duffy-Anderson. 2008. Ichthyoplankton dynamics and biodiversity in the Gulf of Alaska: responses to environmental change. Ecological Indicators 8: 292-302.
- Caceres, C.E., A. Christoff and W.J. Boeing. 2007. Variation in ephippial buoyancy in Daphnia pulicaria. Freshwater Biology 52: 313-318.
- Boeing, W.J., M.H. Martin and J.T. Duffy-Anderson. 2006. Groundfish. In: Spies, R.B. and A. Springer (eds). Long-term ecological change in the northern Gulf of Alaska. Pp. 294-305.
- Boeing, W.J., C.W. Ramcharan and H.P. Riessen. 2006. Clonal variation in depth distribution of Daphnia pulex in response to predator kairomones. Archiv fur Hydrobiologie 166:241-260.
- Boeing, W.J., C.W. Ramcharan and H.P. Riessen. 2006. Multiple predator defense strategies in Daphnia pulex and their relation to native habitat. Journal of Plankton Research 28:571-584.
- Boeing, W.J., B. Wissel and C.W. Ramcharan. 2005. Costs and benefits of Daphnia defense against Chaoborus in nature. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:1286-1294.
- Boeing, W.J., D.M. Leech, C.E. Williamson, S. Cooke and L. Torres. 2004. Damaging UV radiation and invertebrate predation: Conflicting selective pressures for zooplankton vertical distribution in the water column of low DOC lakes. Oecologia 138:603-612.
- Wissel, B., W.J. Boeing and C.W. Ramcharan. 2003. Effects of water color on predation regimes and zooplankton assemblages in freshwater lakes. Limnology and Oceanography 48:1965-1976.
- Benndorf J., W. Boeing, J. Koop and I. Neubauer. 2002. Top-down control of phytoplankton: the role of time scale, lake depth, and trophic state. Freshwater Biology 47:2282-2295.
- Benndorf, J., B. Wissel, A.F. Sell, U. Hornig, P. Ritter and W. Boeing. 2000. Food web manipulation by extreme enhancement of piscivory: an invertebrate predator compensates for the effects of planktivorous fish on a plankton community. Limnologica 30:235-245.
- Boeing, W.J., A. Wagner, H. Voigt, T. Deppe and J. Benndorf. 1998. Phytoplankton responses to grazing by Daphnia galeata in the biomanipulated Bautzen reservoir. Hydrobiologia 389:101-114.
- Kamjunke, N., W. Boeing and H. Voigt. 1997. Bacterial and primary production under hypertrophic conditions. Aquatic Microbial Ecology 13:29-35.