School of Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism ManagementJean's Recipe
Jean is the Director of the School of HRTM and she is sharing a quick and easy recipe for Spinach and Mushroom Frittata Muffins.
1 Tbsp olive oil
6 oz mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup onions, diced
1/4 cup red pepper, diced
1 Tbsp garlic, minced
5 oz fresh spinach leaves
2 tsp vanilla
6 eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup milk
6 oz shredded cheese (cheddar, swiss, parmesan or feta or a combination of cheeses)
1 tsp dried tarragon, thyme, or oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil until shimmering. Add mushrooms, onions, red pepper, and garlic. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach and continue cooking until just wilted, about 1 minute.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, cheese, dried herbs, salt, and pepper breaking up the eggs and until combined.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove mushrooms from skillet combining it with the egg mixture, leaving any remaining oil and liquid in the skillet.
- Divide egg mixture evenly among 12 muffin cups.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- Cook slightly before removing from muffin tins (the egg cups should come out easily).
- Serve hot or at room temperature. Store leftovers in the refrigerator and use within 4 days.
To freeze and reheat the muffins:
Cool and transfer in a single layer on a plate. Freeze until solid, at least 30 minutes, then transfer to a freezer-safe bag. Freeze up to 2 months.
Microwave them straight from the freezer until heated through, about 1 minute.