Aggie Derby Chancellor Garrey Carruthers & Dutch
Chancellor Garrey Carruthers first stepped foot on the NMSU campus more than 50 years ago as a student interested in studying dairy production. Today, he is the first NMSU graduate to lead the university as president and chancellor.
- Raised in Aztec, New Mexico
- Earned his bachelor's degree in agriculture and a master's in agricultural economics from NMSU
- Received a Ph.D. in economics from Iowa State University
- Joined the NMSU faculty in 1968 in the Department of Agricultural Economics and Agricultural Business
- Served as a White House fellow assigned to the Secretary of Agriculture and as the assistant secretary of the U.S. Department of the Interior
- Elected governor of New Mexico in 1987
- Created Cimarron Health Plan in1993 and served as president and CEO
- Became dean of the NMSU College of Business in 2003, also serving as the university's vice president for economic development and director of the Pete V. Domenici Institute
- In 2013 he became the 27th president of New Mexico State University and serves as the chancellor of the NMSU System
He and his wife, Kathy, have been married for more than 55 years. They have three children, six grandchildren, and one great-granddaughter.
Dutch is a seasoned athlete and will not be intimidated by the large crowds at the Derby. You've seen him in the NMSU Homecoming parades in recent years! He knows how to navigate traffic and he isn't sharing any of his secrets with his friends. We expect him to pull ahead in the final turn and there will be no stopping him!